On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 1:15 PM, LWB250 <lwb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Looking at a 2002 Passat with the 4 cylinder engine to replace the recently
> totaled 2001 Nissan Maxima.
> White with palomino leather interior, 129k, everything works.  Two previous
> owners, dealer maintained.
> Goes in for a PPI on Monday, but I would still be interested in hearing any
> opinions of those with direct experience on these cars.

Are you taking it to the dealer or elsewhere for the PPI?  If the former I'd
ask some leading questions and try to get a feel whether they observe proper
maintenance procedures for the turbo four.  It's a great engine if
maintained by the book, but I believe it requires regular oil changes with
quality synthetic oil, just like the TDI engines---and there have been
horror stories for many years on the TDI message boards of
ignorant/unscrupulous/both dealers putting conventional oil in the latter
such that they blow up soon after the warranty expires.

Alex