From: "Kaleb C. Striplin" <ka...@striplin.net>
Sender: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
Subject: [MBZ] I buy a new AC machine, now have AC problems

I bought a new (to me) Robinair ac recovery recycle charging machine yesterday. This one is a dual machine and will do both 134 and r12. It came with about 20 lbs of r12. I am now going to sell my 2 snap on machines.

So yesterday I am trying it out on my Suburban. The Suburban is not cooling all the great. I pretty much completely rebuilt the ac last year complete with new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube in the front, expansion valve in the back. I hook the machine up and recover the refrigerant, it recovers about 2.9 lbs. System holds 4.25. After I recover, I pull a vacuum and it pulls fine down to 30" pretty quick. I pull the vacuum for about 5 minutes and let it sit for about 15 or so to see if it loses any vacuum. I then set the machine to charge in 4.25 lbs, which it does just fine. After charged I start the truck and turn on the AC. I start hearing the belt squeel as the compressor is turning, slowing down, then stopping till the clutch cuts out. Strange. I watch the guages and as soon as the compressor kicks in, high side shoots to well over 400, like 450 or more. Low side never moves, it stays at around 60lbs which is about what it was showing after charged before the system was started.

The strange thing is it worked just fine before I messed with it, nothing was done that I can see would cause a problem. It acts like something is plugged up somewhere. Do you think maybe when I pulled the vacuum it sucked something loose and plugged up the orifice tube or something? on the other hand, it seems that if something was plugged, the high side would go real high, and the low side would go real low maybe to a vacuum, but it just stays where its at.

I am fixing to head out and recover again and pull the system apart but this is just strange, what could cause this problem?

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 94 S500, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D, http://www.okiebenz.com