I might try charging from cans first, and if it still does not work I will recover that and then pull the system apart and see whats up.

Peter Frederick wrote:
You only need to have the engine running if charging from cans, as it's impossible to drive the freon in with a can and a hose, you have to use the compressor to get it into the system. From a large can or with a pump on a recovery system, you can push liquid in by weight, no need to have the compressor running.

Kaleb:

Verify that you are charging in lbs and not kg...... If you are stalling out the compressor, it sounds to me as if you have a totally liquid filled high side, which would not surprise me if you are charging 2.2 times as much as you think you are!

It might be better to charge from cans in this case, or at least with the engine running and the gauge set installed so you can watch the pressures. At 1500 rpm, all fans going full blast, and the windows open, you should get 40 or so lbs pressure low side (35F on the scale, whatever the pressure required to get it) and 350-375 high side, maybe a bit more if its like 95 outside.

Peter

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 94 S500, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D, http://www.okiebenz.com