Sounds like the Page oil engine.

At 05:26 PM 11/2/2005, you wrote:
"Stuart's design was simple, reliable and economical.
The engine utilized a combustion chamber, or
"vaporizer," separated from the main part of the
cylinder by a narrow passageway. Vaporization of the
fuel is accomplished by the injection of liquid fuel
onto the hot inner surface of the vaporizer. The
surface is sufficiently hot to cause ignition of the
mixture of fuel and air when compression is completed.
The heat of combustion is enough to maintain the high
temperature of the vaporizer surface.

To start, the vaporizer is heated by a separate lamp.
After five to ten minutes, oil is injected onto the
hot vaporizer surface, where it quickly gassifies, and
the engine is rotated by hand in the standard
fashion."

http://engines.rustyiron.com/hornsby/

OK, so he was injecting liquid oil, BUT liquid oil
would never burn in the Akroyd-Stuart...it was not
being atomized (as in a diesel), but VAPORIZED. The
plate did not need to be heated externally after
combustion began. It reminds me  of indirect
injection, but the difference is in what happens in
the "pre-chamber"...vaporization or atomization. Note
that it claims the Vaporization plate is connected to
the cylinder by a narrow passageway - just like a
pre-chamber.

Looking at the diagram on the link above clearly shows
the difference though.

This further defines (for me anyway), what EXACTLY a
diesel is.

Chris (not owner of a 240A, 300SA, 300TA)

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-1987 300TD, 150K miles, "Rotkäppchen" (Little Red Riding Hood)
-1985 300SD, 209K miles, "Wulf" (http://www.pictureblogger.com/My-1985-Mercedes-Benz-300SD) -1976 240D, ManyK miles, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen = Alternative Fuel Test Vehicle) running WVO/WMO/LO/CO/WATF/WGL/WBF/DA/MS/lard/gas/kero/D2 mix (do not attempt this at home!)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"