"Mitch Haley" m...@voyager.net

Van Knutson wrote:

> speaking of which, once I awaken my sleeping beauty, what should I do about
> the leaded gas issue? additives etc?

Well, if it weren't for tax considerations, you could run 100 octane low lead
(about twice as much lead as regular gas had when it went off the market about
20 years ago) aviation fuel. The good news is that 100LL doesn't have any of
the oxidizers in it that make it decompose in the fuel tank if you don't empty
your tank every month or two. Very long shelf life on the avgas, but it's also
not very eager to evaporate, so it doesn't make good winter fuel.

Thanks, but the 100LL/avgas option doesn't seem too realistic.  With whatever
the price of 100 octane (7 pts above even present day premium) combined with my
thirsty steed's 11 mpg, my 450's cost per moving mile would rival that of the
space shuttle.

how bout any lead or lead substitute add's you can recommend ??  Can the lead
dependent valves be replaced with no-lead tolerant hardened ones?

DBV, get the lead in information minister.