From: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>
Sender: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:23:18
To: Diesel List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] M1 5w40

We used to go through this all the time, I'm glad we're down to a couple times
a year.

IIRC Marshall said there were 3 MB blessed M1 formulations, 0w40, 15w50 and
5w40.
What is now bottled as 5w40 "Turbo Diesel Truck" used to be 5w40 "Truck and
SUV" (that name is now used on a 5w30 I believe) and is the same stuff (less a
boron tracer) as Delvac 1.
Supposedly Delvac 1 met a slightly more stringent spec than the 0w40 or 15w50
but all are good oils.

My '85 190D had a steady diet of 5w40 for 90,000 miles with no issues
whatsoever. I liked it because it was thin and allowed easy starts in the
winter time while not pouring out of ever seam like the 0w40.
My '83 240D back before I went super discount had at some point each of the M1
formulations. The 0w40 made the car start much better in extreme (-20F) cold
but leaked very badly even back before that engine leaked at its worst. 15w50
leaked much less and was still easier to start with in the winter time than
conventional oil and the 5w40 was someplace in the middle.

I get M1 5w40 at Autozone, about once a month they have a deal with 5 quarts
and a filter for $25 at which point I usually get 10 quarts (five in the
morning and five in the afternoon). I usually get a filter for the Ranger and
put it in the truck when that goes to Spee-Dee for a change for which they
credit me $5.

I've also been using M1 5w40 in the motorcycles. When I first changed to it I
noticed that shifts got a little more crisp. I also think my Honda CB900f has
gotten a bit easier to start. Its a 4cyl and those bikes are notorious for hard
cold starts and sometimes difficult restarts when fully warm.

-Curt