I tend to take such stats with a grain of salt.  What stats often fail to
include, are the demographic group that tends to buy such vehicles.  Is it
possible that part of the larger number of injuries to those inside the
vehicle, is the direct result these vehicles are often purchased to haul
around, more people in them than cars?  If so, not surprising that a Surb
leads the pack, as it seats 9 people or something.  Also, could it be
passengers are often younger, and more vulnerable in general in such family
hauler?  All things being equal, which they seldom are, these large SUVs
should be safer, especially when colliding with a car.  Taking into account
too, that most cars they collide with are probably only equally equipped
with safety equipment.  Could the type of driver that is attracted to such
vehicles be a factor too?  Soccer mum, distracted by yakking on the phone,
bunch of kids jumping around in the back?

I would think most SUVs are safe, if used within their designed parameters.
Are they more likely to roll in the event of an extreme maneuver?  Probably,
with a higher centre of mass.  But again, you're now asking something of it,
and operating it outside it's designed parameters, so is this a fault of the
vehicle, an inherent design flaw, or a misinformed operator not understand
the dynamics of what they're driving, and not allowing sufficient lead time
for unforeseen events?

I've seen 230 kph in a SUV on a track.  I wouldn't want to be in the
backseat of a Surb doing that, but I knew it was within the performance
range of the SUV I was in.  Would it have done more damage had it hit a
Boxster, than say if the Boxster tangled with an another similar sized
vehicle.  Sure it would, the SUV weights 2 tonnes, but physics is physics,
you can't get away from that.

Ed
300E