I modified my setup and bought some 3/4" OD rubber coolant tubing and made an
adapter to fit it into the dipstick tube.  No problem with hot oil.  Still
getting oil spray inside the ShopVac but working well otherwise.

Bruce

Rich Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
An interesting innovation, but I think that would drive the cost up to
maybe $5, which might be worth it to get hot oil (though you might need
a metal container to catch it in.

I understand too that the inserted tube does not really need to go down
into the drain pan as the dipstick tube ends down there, so you really
only need to get it in the wider part at the top, and seal it for the
vac to work. That is about 5/8" ID I think.

--R

Loren Faeth wrote:

>I use a 3 foot length of 1/4 inch OD copper tubing, shoved into 1/4 ID PP
>hose. I like the solid thunk when the copper hits the bottom of the
>pan. It is a little harder to shove down the dipstick, but it does the job
>nicely. Neither has collapsed, and I vacuum out HOT oil.
>
>At 06:24 PM 11/5/2005, you wrote:
>

>>I use that rigid poly tubing, seems to hold up fairly well with "warm"
>>oil (I have not tried it with HOT, duh!!!). But hey, it accomplished
>>the task, right?
>>
>>--R
>>
>>B Dike wrote:
>>

>>>Hot oil causes drain line to collapse. Shop Vac hose
>>>collapses. Oil sprays into ShopVac canister. Oil in
>>>shop vac hose leaks all over garage floor afterward.
>>>
>>>BUT
>>>
>>>Not a single solitary drop of oil remains in oil sump.
>>>Around here we call this success.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Bruce
>>>
>>>Bruce