From: "toms cat1" <tomsc...@hotmail.com>
To: "mercedes diesel" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:20:11 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: nice story related to the car hobby

Thanks, Dwight and Rich.

I can do better than a tow rope.... a guy just donated a black 1981 GMC C2500
that apparently at one time was a Show Truck. He is a mechanic and installed a
big Isuzu turbo diesel engine... the thing sounds just awesome!
My plan is to make some minor repairs to it (door latches, etc) and then put it
into service as an agency vehicle... use it as a kind of rolling advertisement
for our car donation program. I have a magnetic sign reading: "Give us your
poor, your tired, your huddled.... car-casses. Donate your classic or
clunker...etc etc" :) It will look great on that, with Antique plates.
So, if anyone wants to unload their vehicle at the Chowdah Fest, I will bring a
UHaul trailer and take 'er away! I may not bring the 300D, but at least I will
arrive in a diesel. :)

And yes, Rich, Carmen has car seats for her kids, and buckles them in properly,
from what I have seen. Connecticut has been on a strict enforcement campaign on
the seat belt law recently, which Carmen is well aware of. Even I got pulled
over a month or two ago, because the cop thought I wasn't wearing one. I was
driving my convertible with the top up. The shoulder belt originates lower in
the B pillar, and the cop couldn't see it. I explained that I always wear my
belt, ever since one of my staff was nearly killed in a car accident in 1984.
The cop apologized. !!! :) A seat belt violation is the LAST thing I thought I
would ever get pulled over for. ;)

Tom Schuch
SE Connecticut
1975 W115 300D