That sounds analogous to the 111 system, and I think up to the 123 at least, they were all interchangeable. Pretty much reduces Woger's argument to nothing.

I'm not sure why they used a "red" and "blue" in the spring designation, but
blue springs were usually stiffer or stronger than red, and took a thinner
spring pad.  When ordering a set of springs, one either took a chance they'd
get a matching set, or order three and return whatever one didn't match.
 The "red" or "blue" paint mark was the lower mark one or two coils up from
the bottom.  The colors in the middle of the spring were not relevant.
 Factory springs for at least the U.S. bound '87 300D were 124 321 23 04.
 These were discontinued at some point.  Spring pads had "ribs" on them
usually 2, 3, or 4 so one could visually tell without knowing part numbers
to match them.  The more ribs, the thicker the spring pad.  Don't ask me how
I know all of this!

Brian