On my '90 350SDL with aux fans that won't kick in and an erratic temp guage,
(goes from 85 to pegged @ 120+, and back again), a slight tap at the top of
the dashboard above the gauge will cause it to jump, so we figured the guage
it intermittent.  Even hit the block with a laser thermometer  by the sensor
, engine is cooling as it should.  IIRC, there are 2 separate sensors, one
for the gauge, which we replaced, thinking the sensor was intermittent.  The
other goes to the ACC unit.  Don't remember if the sensor or the relay
replacement caused the fans to start working again, but I know we did not
replace the ACC PBU.  YMMV.....

Got 4 cans of R-12 left.  Only enough for 1 re-charge after I find where my
leak is.   ;-(

Angelo