Windows XP back up, internet back up, but no sound.  God though, it runs like
greased lightning.  Google chrome is the schnizzle manizzle.
-- I have a Logitech X-230 speaker system.  Looked up in Logitech website and
it has no drivers.  This is the third computer its been plugged into and its
always been plug + play, never failed in any circumstance, including the
present machine, pre-virus..
-- Microsoft has automated troubleshooting page.  I ran the "no sound"
diagnostic and it failed to rectify it, save for the suggestion that live
support is next, for a $$ Ulysses. Said no thanx I'll keep the fifty..
--I challenge the system by playing an mp3 from my iTunes library and it
immediately flags it with a "no sound device detected" warning.

--just in case Logitech system is effing things up. I disconnected it from the
back of the computer and plugged in some headphones into the headphone
jack--figuring there is now nothing standing between the guts of the system and
sound output--and no sound from those either.
--control panel, system, update drivers, etc. no avail.
--sound device control panel says no audio system detected.

PS-- installed Avast freebieware per the august counsel of this forum, and it
works well.  24 hrs so far and no virus!  woo hoo!   will add malwarebites in
very near future.  I tend to be very rough on antivirus software, lets just put
it that way 8)
DBV, involuntarily typing silently information minister.