Not disagreeing with your major premise, but fuel
filters are a normal thing to change. The primer pump
leaked like a seive before (when pumping) so that was
a nice upgrade. The line under the braided
hose...well, who knows, it was probably 30 years old.

I imagine I will eventually toast the IP with my
experimentation...but the seats may drop through the
rusted body before that happens, so might as well save
some fuel money before the rust gets me.

Note, I do not do this with the SD or TD.

ALSO, Is there supposed to be an Aluminum crush washer
on the bolt that holds the top of the fuel filter on
(76 240D)?...there was not one there, so I improvised
with a thin plasticky-rubbery washer till I can get a
new one, if it is indeed supposed to be there.

Thanks,

Chris

--- Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Christopher McCann wrote:
> > new fuel primer pump, new Hengst filter (WIX did
> NOT
> > work for some reason...?), new pre filter, removed
> the
> > pressure fitted braid covered hose from the
> pre-filter
> > to the IP (guess that would be the lift pump
> there?)
> > and VOILA - she works...garbage fuel and all
> > :-)...which is to say, I'm not ready for Kaleb to
> haul
> > her off yet!
>
> What you have experienced is exactly what will
> happen when an older car
> - not intended for alternative fuels is run on them.
> Just about every
> soft surface WILL dissolve - some slowly - some
> quickly and plug up
> everything. If it reaches the injection pump even in
> small quantities
> REAL/expensive problems usually commence.
>
> Marshall
> --
>         Marshall Booth (who doesn't respond to unsigned
> questions)
>        "der Dieseling Doktor" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> '87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0
> 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5
> turbo 237kmi

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-1987 300TD, 150K miles, "Rotkäppchen" (Little Red Riding Hood)
-1985 300SD, 209K miles, "Wulf"
(http://www.pictureblogger.com/My-1985-Mercedes-Benz-300SD)
-1976 240D, ManyK miles,  "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen
= Alternative Fuel Test Vehicle) running
WVO/WMO/LO/CO/WATF/WGL/WBF/DA/MS/lard/gas/kero/D2 mix (do not attempt this at
home!)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

http://mail.yahoo.com