gassers are a PITA aren't they? What year is the TE? Is it a 124? I had similar findings a couple of years ago with daughter's 107. Had smelled since she got it. no leaks.

on it, there was a short chunk of big hose, like 5/8 from the tank to the filter/pump unit. Then a hard tubing between the filter and pump, then a short chunk of gas line to the hard tubing into the engine compartment. The big hose disintegrated. To keep the car going for a week until the proper hose arrived from Rusty, I put in a chunk of heater hose. When the hose came, (I had to order a meter to get 3"), it was not the original stuff with lots of braid inside and out, but just rubber with a few strands like heater hose. But it had the star on it.... OE stuff now.

Anyhow, if anyone with gassers needs to replace the fuel pump hose, I will make you a deal for 3" or whatever you need. I think it was something like $27 for the meter length. I shoulda just bought some at FLAPS or a industrial hose shop. I was hoping for hose that will last another 20 years. Maybe this will. It sure looks like 5 year FLAPS heater hose. The secret is in the rubber compound and its resistance to fuel and additives and resistance to oxidation.

THe smell was from the big hose seeping.  Never dripping, just seepage.

Ongoing saga with gasoline smells and no visible leaks, culminating in Mother backing off the drive the other day by slipping her foot off the brake onto the gas (or so she says, the story changes with time, eh?).

Upshot of the whole deal was that I got home last Thursday to find the car crossways in the drive and it won't start. I know the fuel pump was leaking, so I'd bought a new pump but hadn't gotten under there to get it in yet. So I crawled under and started in.

First thing I found was that the supply line to the pump was old, felt funny, and was cracking, so I ordered a new one -- or what I thought was a new one. Got the hose, it was the one from the filter to the FI system, but the wrong one for the TE (shorter, I think). Anyway, so I ordered the "tank to pump hose" listed as "pump to pump" because I though I only had one fuel pump.

So I tackle the pump replacement. Some gorilla has overtightened the outlet fitting on the check valve. I'm completely unable to unscrew the cap nut, so I have to undo all the pressure side fittings to the filter and accumulator and remove the whole pump. Naturally, the wire nuts are just barely more than finger tight, and the check valve fitting on the pump, with pressure line attached, is swinging free. Bloody gorilla turned the check valve while overtightening the pressure line fitting! No wonder it leaked.

Took the pump and fitting down to the garage, unscrewed the pump from the check valve and managed to get the cap nut loose by putting the fitting in a vice. I hate idiots.

Back to the car, fight for a while with the rock hard inlet fitting on the inlet side and get it all buttoned up. Huge PITA working on the gournd with gravel in your hair, naturally the wheel tracks are lower than the gravel under the car, etc.

Crank it (no start) and look for leaks. Fuel pouring off the diff. Another bad hose. Give up for the night.

Order the new hose, listed as pump tp pump, although I still think I have a single pump car. Wrong. Get the hose, crawl back under, and find the other fuel pump right by the tank. This time I get the fitting off without major hassles. but the hose is a bitch. Still not fully installed, I just cannot get those grommets in the hooks when I cannot see what I'm doing, so later today I'll go over to my brothers and put it up on jack stands or take it over to his buddies and put it on a lift. This would have been an easy job with some clearance underneath.

Now I have the hose installed, crank for a few seconds, check and find no leaks, so I try to start it. Sorta kinda runs for a few seconds, then quits and I smell LOTS of gasoline. Back under, no leaks. Hmmmm. Must be something else.

Go down to the garage, get the starting fluid, pull the air filter cover, and discover that, at some time in the past, a mouse has been using it for storage. There is half a pecan shel, empty, holding the airflow sensor flap open about half an inch, no wonder it won't start! Take the housing off, clean all the crap out (the mice live on wild cherry seeds and dogwood seeds around here, Mom's car is always full of them along with pecans). How it got in there I don't know, except that I do remember finding the breather hose loose a while back, don't remember when but it's been several years, probably. Certainly that pecan wasn't from this years crop -- I don't think there are any, and they don't start to fall for another month, anyway.

Cleaned it all out, lost three of the nuts for the filter cover -- must have brushed them off into the drive or something --. crank it up, and it starts after holding my food to the floor for a while. Runs better than it has for a long time, I wonder how long that pecan shell has been holding the air flow meter flap open part way?

Never a dull moment, eh? Nice to have the car running and not leaking fuel, too!

Peter