More likely that station tank had water in it, and when the higher ethanol fuel
was put in, it absorbed the water.

I always buy fuel from a narrow selection of stations, including Shell.  Not so
hot on the company, per se, but I've never gotten bad fuel from the.  I get a
lot of diesel from the local farm coop, too -- 10% bio-D and I get much less
smoke and about 1 mpg better milage.

Don't buy much gas, and it's all premium (72 280 SE and 88 TE, both require
it), so no experience there.

Peter