Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 21:37:31 -0400
From: David & Kristin Gilmore <dandkgilm...@frontier.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] Cheap preglow relay fix

>      Recently when I went to start my 83 SD I had no dash glow
> light and the engine wouldn't fire.  I traced the problem to the
> preglow relay (black plastic box about 3"X3"X"2" on the fender
> behind driver's side headlight).  There was voltage accross the 80
> amp strip fuse but nothing was getting to the glow plugs.

       I took off the relay, removed the 4 screws at its edges and
slid the contents out.  A solenoid and a circuit board which looked
mostly OK except for two little canisters that had leaked out beige
goo.  Brother Rusty prices this relay at $189.

      When I googled    pregow relay bypass   I found some have
replaced it with a fender mounted starter relay of the Ford type
actuated by momentary contact button switch. The attached pictures
show my adaptation of this approach - I left the original relay there
to use the wiring connecters and 80 amp fuse.  (Before I put it back
together I rigged it so it would always be on.)

      $14.99 for the solenoid, $4.99 for the switch, both from
Autozone.  You lose the dash light function.  But it is easy to start
counting seconds when you hear that SNACK sound.

      Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV