Ok, so I've replaced the chain in my 617.910. It is now perhaps half a degree
better than it was before the chain replacement, but the crank scale is still
reading 15+ degrees ATDC when the cam notch is lined up with the mark! (pics
attached)

Given the measurement margin of error, the 15 degree offset seems suspiciously
close to the 18 degree offset produced when the chain is off by one tooth at
the cam. I'm wondering if it skipped a tooth at some point in the past, perhaps
when the chain was replaced previously (it was an IWIS chain and had almost no
wear).  I know this "skip" didn't happen during my recent chain replacement,
because at no point was either end of the chain not under tension or out of
contact with the cam gear. I didn't even remove the tensioner.

In any case, before I go further I need to determine whether the crank scale's
indicated TDC really is TDC...

Apart from the scale, is there any other externally visible reference mark on
the crankshaft? I want to rule out that the harmonic balancer/scale has come
loose or wandered, something that seems to happen occasionally, eg if someone
impatiently reinstalled it during front seal replacement.

If possible, I'd rather not have to remove a prechamber to check piston
position, so I'm hoping maybe there's some kind of reference mark on the
crankshaft that can be checked against the scale. And given how hard it sounds
like it is to properly install the balancer once removed, I'd rather not touch
that either if I can avoid it.

Would removing the lower oil pan be an option as a means of seeing the movement
of #1 conn rod towards TDC? I haven't checked if the pan can be removed
in-situ, but intuitively it seems like perhaps it could...

D.