Max
Thanks, this is the kind of information I need. I'm not sure how I'll get samples through the screens of the drill point. I know silt gets through and that may tell the tale. I also think when I hit sand, there will be a sound change from the cement mixer driving activity and quicker movement downward.

After this next section of pipe gets down, I'll try to flush up some samples. Even if its still just clay now, I'll know it can be done. I'll dry and save the samples in zip bags and watch for changes.

Thanks
Harry

When I had an irrigation well drilled, a two-man crew with portable
drilling rig did the job.  As the rig drove the well point down, it used
water under pressure to lubricate the point, and most of that water came
back up out of the whole, carrying material from the bottom of the well.
When that material included ancient sea shells, they would stop drilling
and test the well to see if it would produce water.  The rest of the
time the material was mostly clay and sand.

I would say that if you can force water down the pipe and then examine
what flows back out, watch for a change in material (i.e. from clay to
sand or gravel or shells) and when you see a change, stop and test to
see if you can produce water from the well.  The crew I hired had a
gasoline powered pump to apply suction to the well pipe to try to pull
water out.

My well went down to about 70 feet, but the 1 hp pump sucking on the top
of the pipe could not produce too much volume - about enough water to
run one sprinkler head.  Driller pulled the pipe back up to about 40
feet, and then we got enough water to run three maybe four sprinkler
heads, and called that good.

Ten years ago that cost me about $500 for the drilling and about $300
for the pump and pipe and valves.

-Max