I thought my 80 240D manny tranny shifted mighty fine.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dieselhead" <126die...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:36 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Swapping a 5spd into my 87 300D

I've never been able to find a 123 or 124 manual trans when I had jingies to spend, but the older MBs with real transmissions shifted very nicely, and those are all getrags

I can't imagine that the 123/124 shifts that badly.

That's surprising, as the one in the '84 190D is very nice. Sounds more like
an old VW or Porsche shifter!

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

 Alex Chamberlain <apchamberl...@gmail.com> writes:

> The car magazines of the time weren't happy with the ergonomics of the > stick-shift 300E either. IIRC the shifter was described as "numb" and
 > "rubbery"

 The description I've heard of the shifter is "broomstick in a bucket of
 rocks"

 Allan
 ----

OK Don