When we last left the '84 190D it'd been shipped off to my Indy to un-screwup
the rear subframe mounts.

Got it back today and the handling was back to where it was before I tried the
subframe mounts, maybe slightly better.

To recap: if this car were a snowmobile I'd say "it darts". The feeling is a
little bit like getting blown around in the wind. Subframe mounts have been
replaced, rear links have been replaced, rear shocks are new.

So I'm dammed tired of this and out of desperation I decided to pull off
 the 14" wheels/tires on the car and switch to my 15" winter wheels. In
doing so I realized the old tires were mismatched front vs rear but I
also realized whatever asshole put the wheels on last was a gorilla with
 the air gun. On the rear I've already got 2 stripped lug holes, one on
each side and on the front driver's there was on I COULD NOT GET OFF.

Seriously, I've got a lug wrench from an old BMW, the crank type, and I jumped
on it for like 10 minutes and it wouldn't move...

Finally took it to a friend's place and used his very nice Mac impact gun to
buzz it off.

Anyway put on the winter tires/wheels and after the flat spots (they
were on the '85 which sat a few months) rounded back out I can feel a
SIGNIFICANT improvement. The car is driveable now at 65mph (fastest I
could go where I was) where it was iffy at 50mph before. This makes the
car commute ready more or less. My guess is the gorilla with the impact
gun bent one or more of the wheels or I had a bad tire or two. I don't
really care, I'm going to get rid of the 14s as I have 2 full sets of
15s.

Its not perfect, still a little soft/darty, but its windy today so its
hard to really tell. Does a 201 have a steering shock? I'm wondering if
that could be the issue now, the front end is otherwise tight.

-Curt