On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 08:39:42 -0800 Alex Chamberlain
<apchamberl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Peter T. Arnold <pm7...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> > Wait untill he finds out how much the controls will cost.
>
> I'm not following you... isn't something to modulate the voltage
> pretty much the only control you need?  Just a potentiometer connected
> to the throttle cable?  And for charging, just a Battery Tender.

Both running the car and charging take VERY MUCH MORE power and current
than either a potentiometer or a Battery Tender can handle.

> > I had a coworker who did this to an old VW about 10 years ago.  With
> > huge golf cart batteries he could go about 10 miles to work.
>
> Well, the solution to that is to not use lead-acid batteries...

That's true. Lithium-ion batteries have more storage capacity than
lead-acid batteries, but they are more expensive and more difficult to
handle safely (spontaneously exploding laptops, anyone?).

Craig