Around here, most gas stations will sell small squeeze bottles or aerosol cans of methyl hydrate to squirt into locks to unfreeze them. Might want to give that a try. I have been in the situation where I really need fuel and cannot undo the locking gas cap. I also have an electric doodad powered by batteries that is sort of like a key. The battery voltage causes the key thing to heat up and one is supposed to be able to thaw a lock with it. I have not used it and really don't know where it is but remember receiving it as a stocking stuffer one Christmas.

Randy

On 03/12/2010 5:59 PM, Michael Esh wrote:
I have a 1984 300D and my driver's side lock freezes up at the first hint of a
temperature below freezing.  It is very frustrating and I to do not lock up
either, for fear of not being able to unlock the next morning.   I have cleaned
and greased them in the past, but water seems to gravitate into the lock from
rain or car washing.

Mike

On Dec 3, 2010, at 1:14 PM, Curt Raymond wrote:

I've noticed that on my 201s as well although I've never had to pour water on.

On the 123s I've seen an annoying tendency for the locks to freeze. I generally
keep a wind proof lighter (the one like a small torch) around, it doesn't take
much heat to clear it up. I've tried all kinds of magic substances (including
graphite and other lock gunk) but nothing seems to help. These days I don't
lock the doors much so I don't worry...

-Curt

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:41:22 -0500
From: E M<pokieba...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Rust, was Parts quality

That's one thing I found with the 300E, over our previous American cars,
that had much looser door and trunk fittings.  Even with a half cm of frozen
ice, the American stuff would open right up.  The Benz is a bear to get
into!  I've had to pour hot water on the Benz a few times, just to get into
it.  Groceries go in the back seat on days like that too.

Ed
300E