If I related this following story before I apologize in advance.

On the other end of the "SWMBO" spectrum, I was once trying to pry
back the rear view mirror in the old 280SE 3.5 coupe. The mirror
features a safety device consisting of a 1.25" X .5" heavy duty spring
(approx.) in a bracket that allows the mirror to eject when struck
with a hard blow (such as when your forehead hits it as you are being
launched through the front windshield due to a collision). Presumably,
this minimizes the chances of a more serious injury.  Anyway, I needed
to reinstall this mirror, which had been removed while the two
bow-shaped wood pieces were being refinished.  I parked the car in the
driveway so I had enough light, and after reinstalling the wood I used
a heavy duty slotted screwdriver to CAREFULLY leverage the mirror base
into the bracket + retaining spring.  Naturally, the worst case
scenario ensued and I managed to SPROING the spring from the bracket,
launching it about 30' through the open window of the coupe into the
grass.

Now here is the amazing part.  I was tremendously motivated to find
that spring (which as a practical matter could not easily be
replaced).  So I focused my gaze on the exact spot where I thought it
had landed, walked the 12 paces or so over to that spot, bent down,
and retrieved the spring from the grass on my first attempt.  This is
the exception that proves the rule, I guess.

ALS