On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 06:35:37 -0800 Jim Cathey <j...@windwireless.net>
wrote:

> > - fog lights aimed too low
>
> Are they, really?  If they're lighting up any road such that you could
> drive faster than about 20MPH with them alone, then they're mis-aimed
> IMHO.

The top edges of the beams hit the road about 20 feet in front of the
car. 20 mph is 29.33 ft/s, so the four-second-rule says the top edges of
the beam should hit the road about 117 feet in front of the car.

> And don't even get me started on all those wretched Subies and Dodges
> that don't even have shrouds in their 'fog' lamps, which are much more
> like blinding high beams mounted down low than anything suitable for
> use in extremely foggy conditions.

I share your irritation. The cars that have their sharp-cutoff low beams
aimed exactly horizontal should be ticketed, too.

> On an MB, if you find yourself needing to open your driver's door in
> order to see the stripe, in order to stay on the road as you creep
> along, you can turn on the fog lamps instead (and perhaps turn off the
> lows) and creep along in more safety and comfort.

I've driven in those conditions in a blizzard. The car I was driving,
though, didn't have fog lights.

> The electronic speedometers do tick.  There's a stepper motor
> that drives the odometer chain.  Our later 107's and the 126's
> do this.  The high-miles 107 ticks louder than the others.

That's a relief; thank you for that bit of information.

Craig