Jaguar and Snow Leopard are fairly different in the details.  At a very high
level the basics are still the same.

I would say forget the books, just play with the computer for a while.  If you
open up something and wonder what it is, look it up and read about it.  Macs
are generally made to be usable without training or instruction.  Of course a
lot of your learned intuitions from Windows may not apply.

Allan