I'm not sure of the years when the harness was an issue, but, after having a
good look at the wires, or the insulation on some of the wires on my '88
300E, I think they will need some attention this coming summer.  I think
such things when exposed to heat, and with age, probably just need
replacement.  The car is now 23 years old, and as far as I can make out, the
wires on mine are original.

On the plus side, most of the wires look easy enough to get to.  Not sure
what a whole new harness costs though.

Ed
300E