From: David Bruckmann <bruckma...@transcontinental.ca>
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Sent: Tue, December 21, 2010 2:29:08 AM
Subject: [MBZ] Question for Jaime and others w. MBUSA connections - or - How to
get NLA parts demand onto the MB radar

The MB policy of actually supporting their classic community is brilliant, and
am willing to put my money (within reason) on it. As I posted before, I'm
becoming impatient with aftermarket parts of questionable provenance and will
pay a premium for OE quality.

A couple of times now I've gone to order something for my W115 and have been
told by the dealer that the part is NLA and "we even checked with the Classic
Centre". Two parts that come to mind are the rear seat pads and the speaker
grill assembly (the one that always shrivels up) on later W114/5 dashboards.

Demand for some items like seat pads must be increasing after being close to
nil
for many years. When I did the interior in my W115 I got what World Uplholstery
said was their last set of rear pads, one of which was a NOS genuine part, the
other had served as their fitting model when they were testing the covers. A
friend is getting set to do his W115, and World confirmed that the pads are
NLA.
Same story from GAHH and Mercedes directly.

A while ago I happened upon a note from Tom Hansen at the Classic Centre that
the trim pieces for the R107 were once again available after being NLA for a
while.

So my question: if the part is "NLA", but Mercedes-Benz is restarting
production
on certain items according to demand, how does one ensure that this demand is
actually registered with the company. Is there a way of getting onto a list or
something so that these parts become available? Or do I just send a note to Tom?

D.

PS: to the joy of W116 owners, it appears that those formerly NLA rear seat
pads
are once again available in the aftermarket (and a bargain!). Not sure how
they'll hold up over time, but better than crumbling vestiges of the original...