Just checked with the Mobil 1 website and got this:
      The company that manufactures your vehicle recommends this Mobil 1
product, or has a special requirement.

      Current Vehicle:
      Year:   1991
      Make:   Mercedes-Benz
      Model:   300D
      Engine Type:   5cyl. 2.5Liter Turbocharged

Do you think MB recommends 0W40 for a 20 yr old TC’d diesel?

I know M1’s primary concern is selling oil but the comment about the “...
manufactures your vehicle recommends ”

I *might* (BIG might) go with a 0W40 for a cold weather oil... gotta give that
some thought.

Yes, I know, I’m a Oil Analysis guy – but analysis has little to do with
choosing a oil (mostly).

Thanks!
Merry Christmas!
LarryT