I never had a diesel Volvo - but I always was interested.  The alt thing on
the 850 is weird.  I had mine rebuilt at 210K when I did that timing belt
service, but only because I replaced everything that was on the serpentine
belt as a preventative measure.  Otherwise I never had any electrical or
body problems.  (except when it got broadsided by my tool box at high speed
but that's a different story for a different day.) The 850 had a well known
evaporator problem like the 124s.  Wasn't that expensive to fix though,  I
had mine done at a local shop for about $450.    What year is your 740 TD?
Manual or Automatic?

Peter