Now, what sort of attitude is that?? Don't you recognize a perfect excuse to acquire a milling machine when you see it?

Randy

On 29/12/2010 9:37 AM, Rich Thomas wrote:
There are machine and fab shops all over, just look in the phone book. Send a dxf file of the part and they can fab it.quick and pretty cheap. Better yet find some hobby guys with a CNC mill, or some old fart with a mill in his basement, and let them do it.

--R

On 12/29/2010 10:21 AM, andrew strasfogel wrote:
Max, I wouldn't know where to begin in finding such a "shop".

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Max Dillon<meadedil...@bellsouth.net>wrote:

That would be worth pursuing, even if you have to pay a machine shop to
fabricate a pulley adapter and/or brackets. I'll bet far less expensive than swapping an engine or a head. I'm tempted to have a friend w/ shop tackle this, but I'd need some exact measurements and good drawings for him to work from, and it would be better if I could put the old pump and new
pump in his hands.

-Max

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Dieselhead
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:28 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Fwd: Mercedes 1985 300td wagon - as is - $1000
(Plainfield, MA)

Does anyone know if a tandem pump was ever made with v-belt pulleys?
It seems like the simple thing would be to replace the PS pump with a
tandem pump.  Then a SLS head is not needed, as the tandem pump
provides the SLS pressure.

The tandem pumps I have seen on the 124 wagons all were made for serp
belts.  I believe the 85 TD has v-belts.

Since you are so close to PGA, why not drive over there and ask them
if a tandem pump can be modified to fit your OM617?

This was in refernece to the SLS head-free 1985 "300TD".  I have since
discovered that the car was hard to start because I goosed the
throttle instead of alowing the glow system to do its job.  SInce
then, it has started without incindent on cold days, even when it's
windy.

P.S. Do you or anybody else for that matter want this engine if and
when I ever remove it?  It was from a 1985 300TD sedan with allegedly
25 K miles.  Runs strong, blows ice cold air, etc.