A few weeks ago I posted my suspicions re: the timing chain in my 300D. Both
before and after I installed a new chain, the cam was running about 18 degrees
(at the crank scale) late. This measurement happens to coincide with the length
of one chain link.

While it was most likely that the chain had skipped, I was concerned that
possibly the vibration damper/timing scale had sheared or had otherwise become
inaccurate because of someone's previous wrenching.

This afternoon I used my new (from ZDmak) timing "whistle", which is inserted
into the spark/glow plug hole, to confirm the timing of #1 piston TDC. While
helpful, the whistle obiously isn't very precise because there's decreased
movement of air as the piston nears TDC. As a double-check, I also verified
start of delivery on the injection pump. Both the whistle and the IP suggested
that the timing scale was probably reading correctly, and that only the cam was
off.

I removed the cam sprocket and moved the chain by one tooth to advance the cam
timing and voila, everything lines up perfectly now. TDC at the crankshaft is
showing exactly TDC at the cam.

And the verdict after a quick test drive: huge improvement. The idle is MUCH
quieter, less smoke and more power. I wish I'd done this much earlier!

D.