i suspect we have different definitions of what is a "slipped belt"; it's a commonly misused term. i don't believe it's possible for a belt to "slip" when it's molded into a tire, and as i understand it manufacturing techniques for modern radial tires have made it unlikely for many years that a belt could "slip" during manufacturing.

while it may be possible to have separation, i don't believe that was the case in the tires i spoke of; the fact that they didn't all even suffer the same problem leads me to be inclined to believe that they were simply manufactured poorly. i'd be more likely to suspect separation after they had some time/miles on them, but these were so fresh they still had the preservative and mold nubs on the tread face.

cheers!