While we're on the subject Marshall, do you have any words about ELF
synthetic oil? My indie (VW and MB born and bred) put ELF Excellium
DID 5w30 in my Golf TDI. I see ELF has a wide range of diesel oils. He
only uses ELF oils in the VW's he services. I don't know what he uses
in the MB diesels he takes care of.

http://www.elf.com/live/wex/lub/lubroot.nsf/VS_OPM/3C44780A936138B4C1256E7F0043CBA4?OpenDocument

Click on "Engine" from Range of Products list.

FWIW, I can't get ELF products at any local store that I know of, but
Mobil 1 15w50 is easily available. For some reason 5w40 is not. I've
yet to see that one at all.

Tim
1982 300TD Moby