It looks as though we likely have an easy fix on my problem washer. The centre (center?) post is supposed to be tight to the tub and it was not. Never having worked on such a beast, I was not aware of that. I have sort of discovered the problem by accident while conferring with a fellow in Alberta who knows a whole lot about them. In any event, it appears that I can make myself a "wrench" out of a piece of pipe and tighten the doodad and we should be good to go.

Randy