In Southern Indiana during WW-2 a neighbor bought a model A Ford that
wouldn't start in cold weather.  For a while he used the Model T Ford
starting method of taking out the spark plugs and pouring ether in them.  He
finally got tired of that and rigged up a piece of old fire hose from the
carburetor to a hole he cut in the side of the house near the wood stove.
His wife was pretty upset about the hole in the house, but finally calmed
down until early one morning when he got the spark advance on the model A
set wrong and the engine backfired into the living room with a huge bang
that turned the whole household; wife, kids, dogs, and cats; into
pandemonium. He disconnected the hose and drove off, not realizing all the
commotion he had caused.

His wife ran over to our house in hysterics, told my mom that he had blown
up the house, set it on fire, and would she call the fire department.
That woke up my dad who calmed down the ladies and went over to see what had
happened.

The result was that our neighbor went back to the ether method for a few
weeks and finally wheedled his wife into letting him use the fire hose
again.  He was pretty careful about the spark advance after that and there
were no more backfires that I remember.

Years later I thought about trying that method on my 110 Mercedes, but I had
made the mistake of telling my wife the firehose story, and she got so upset
about cutting a hole in the house, that I never did.
Gerry
'83 300D and 240D
From: "R A Bennell" <b...@mts.net>
Shouldn't be too hard to set up a propane injector into the intake
manifold along with an ignitor. Start the fire under the hood - sort of a
flame thrower effect - probably would not even need the glow plugs.
Suspect your insurance might not be good if you burn it to the ground and
the company finds out.
Probably work better with diesel than gasoline.

Randy