Christopher McCann wrote:
Two problems with the SD re: idle:
1. When engine is cold (not ambient brrrrrr cold, just room temp, but worse when truly COLD) it idles fine BUT as soon as I put it in reverse (or turn on the A/C in hot weather), the idle drops and the car usually stalls. Will stall at about 450 RPM. 2. Let's say we start the car and no reverse or A/C is needed, the idle is fine...we drive 1-3 miles. Come to a stop and the idle is PULSATING between, say, 550-700 or so...just revving between those two engine speeds, rhytmiically, on its own. I would say 1 complete rev cycle per 1.5 seconds. 3. Drive it a bit more, get the engine hot and the rhythmic idle goes away as does the reverse stall problem. Took to my Indy today. He said, "Adjust Idle". OK. It was cold (engine and 0 degrees C out), car starts, put in reverse, get halwayt out of the parking spot - STALL. Drive a few miles to my friend's house, park it and lo and behold, the rythmic idle rec described above. Obviously something other than idle adjust needs done. Is there some GIZMO that controls idle when a load is put on (A/C, reverse (no acceleration in reverse, just reverse and idle backwards (down hill - still stalls!))) and/or would also cause the rhythmic idling? Please help! Have had idle adjusted twice (with no effect) and I have no idea what the problem is. Would like to get some list opinions to take with me when I go back to my Indy tomorrow.

The engine lope you describe is almost always the result of the rack damper not doing its job properly. It may be that it's an original (silver) rack damper or it may be that a revised (gold) rack damper screw is not properly adjusted.

The OM61x engine NO machinery to raise the idle in response to changing load (it's supposed to be held at the the set rpm under all conditions, but isn't - especially in very cold or very hot situations). Older versions had a dash knob that could be twisted to raise idle when required, but that was eliminated and the end of the '70s. On worn engines, it's sometimes necessary to raise the idle to the upper end of the allowable idle range (700-800 rpm) or even a little higher to prevent stalling under some conditions. It's POSSIBLE that the injection pump is simply worn out or WAY out of calibration.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi