Some of you may remember a couple months ago I wrote of my efforts to remove a front suspension bushing on my 83 300SD. I have attached the picture I sent then, showing the cage of sash weights hanging from the bushing. No joy.

As it happened shortly the weather turned cold. I don't drive the MB in the winter anyway so I left it on the stands for warmer weather tinkering. A few days ago I checked it and found the bushing had emerged perhaps an eighth inch. Levering and prying yielded no more. I added more weights for a total of 90 pounds. The next day when I checked it had come out! That is what is shown in the second picture. Rubber is weird stuff. This bushing had been partially degraded by diesel fuel leaking on it.

The last picture shows my homemade hole puller device I have found useful for such situations. Squeezing the U - shaped wire until the bent ends come together allows it to go into the hole in the bushing. Released they will spring out. To keep the ends spread inside the bushing it is usually best to tap in something like the wooden plug shown. Then you have a loop you can pull on.

     Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV

     He saw no smoke and he saw no roof.
     That was well!  and he stamped hoof.