Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:27:05 -0500
From: "Bill Ringgold" <billr32...@comcast.net>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - A computer problem I can't figure out

Thanks Dan, I have just made that change [I had it at 4000, now at 6500].
Hopefully that will help.  With the "mydefrag" program running that Walt
suggested [thanks again Walt] it does start and run faster.
I tried switching the memory chips around, but it is still as the manual
says, running a matched pair in 1 and 3 [2 x 256 MB] and 2 and 4 [2 x 1 GB].
That didn't do anything.  Once it starts working it is fine, but it is that
2 minute wait for it to process the first statement after a pause that is
driving me nuts.  The manual suggests a matched set of 2 x 2GB as optimal,
but I'll have to be a lot more frustrated before I spend that amount of $.
I am reminded of a friend who had a then new 286 when we bought our first
laptop: "That is entirely too easy to pick up and throw against the wall".
I may have to move my sledge hammer out to the back porch.
Bill R