I am pretty sure pits have been banned, due to the possibility of fuel vapours collecting in them.

Hendrik
who has no pit

Dieselhead wrote:
Pits used to be common at service stations. Alex had one is his garage in Switzerland, as I recall. I think they are a lot more common un Europe. Hoists have gotten so cheap that it would cost less to install a hoist than a pit, IF you have the headroom!

--R wrote:
   Car assembles itself, owner and dog watch

Yeah - we each need a garage like that.
I wish there were more of those types around.  The last one I recall
seeing was when I was a kid and there was a pit in the garage at my
grampa's place.  I wonder if that pit is still there in Rockford, IL.
mao