My '84 190D doesn't kick down unless I cram down on the go pedal, even then
sometimes theres a long delay before it kicks down.

In the spring I need to spend some quality time adjusting things I think...

-Curt

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 21:38:11 -0800
From: David Bruckmann <bruckma...@transcontinental.ca>
To: "mercedes@okiebenz.com" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] California Version - 1985 300TD

Whether
 it actually starts in 2nd or not may actually be a simple
misunderstanding on the part of the PO. As far as I'm aware, all of the
722.3 transmissions used in later 123 and 126 models stay in second when
 stopped UNTIL you touch the accelerator, whereupon they instantly kick
down to first. You should be able to feel this behaviour by taking your
foot off the brake at standstill and see what the creep is like vs
having the shift lever in "L". And frankly, on most of them the
modulator and transmission are worn enough that you can feel the "bump"
when it kicks down to first. If it doesn't kick down, the cable probably
 just needs adjusting.

It wouldn't surprise me that the PO
wouldn't be aware of the above: I've met plenty of "Mercedes mechanics"
who didn't know it either.

Personally I love the earlier
transmissions that start in second and do NOT kick down unless forced,
because every time it doesn't shift is one less bit of wear on that
band/clutch pack. As you know, the 85 has a higher stall speed on the
torque convertor, so it should be even more capable of starting in
second without seeming sluggish. And you could always kick down if you
needed the extra kick... But as I said, I suspect this is probably just
the PO not understanding that the design is for it to be in second to
prevent creep, but then to kick down immediately when you apply the
accelerator...

The TDM will clarify what the normal build was for that year, but I don't have
it with me to check.