Same thing! Down in Cajun country the same one serves for seafood boil and for frying crawdaddy, or whatever. Unless you want to spring for peanut oil, canola oil has a lower smoke point than soy oil. Heat it to 375, add the fries a little at a time, just enough to keep the oil from boiling over. When they are browned enough, pull em out. Buy some popcorn salt to shake over them. It is a finer grain, so it sticks better. Regular salt will fall off.

Sounds delicious. I was wondering about a propane seafood boil kettle-they are common here & have baskets-I don't know if they would get hot enough for oil.
Dwight

-----Original Message-----
From: Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com>
Sender: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 21:05:52
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Save the Date-2011 ChowdaQ

Got a turkey fryer?  If you can find a way to scoop em out, or have a
basket, the fryer makes good fries.  I made white sweet tater fires
for turkey day.  They were really good.

I hand cut the fries with a 10" chef knife.

We have a good time.

I'm debating the feasibility of making french fries onsite...