John M McIntosh wrote:

PS well I might have stopped once I started to enter the city it was unclear how bright (not) the brake lights were. Still it appears you can run a w124 diesel a long way with faulty electrical system.

I've driven from Pittsburgh to Washington DC (and back ~250 mi each way) several times without a working alternator and my daughter made the trip from Harrisburg PA to Pittsburgh (200 miles) without an alternator. I've never counted on more than a few hours of electrical function (lights, heater fan, wipers, radio, etc.) and I don't turn the engine off (just lock the car with the engine running when making a "rest" stop). I always tried to leave EARLY in the morning or at least 5-6 hours BEFORE dusk and a RainX treatment of the windows makes it possible to drive in all but the worst weather without wipers (can get tough in snow though). Once moving there's plenty of heat even without the blowers on.

Did I correctly interpret "heat seater lights" as an indication that you have seat heaters in the car? Seat heater problems CAN knock out a battery and exceed the capacity of the alternator I'm told, but I've never dealt with that problem as I don't have seat heaters in ANY of my cars. I'm PRETTY sure there were revisions to the seat heater circuits but I'm NOT sure when they occurred.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi