David Brodbeck wrote:
Nick Gough wrote:
Have you checked the trunk seal itself? The trunk lid could be out of
alignment and allowing water to get in through the gap. BTDT.

That's on my list, too. Any good tricks for checking it? I was thinking of smearing lipstick on the seal, closing the trunk, then opening it again and looking for gaps in the 'kiss mark' on the trunk lid...

Slip a strip of paper in and close the trunk. Try that several times in different places. There should be resistance to pulling the paper out. If the water is dripping off of the hinges, the water probably isn't likely coming in around the truck seals (and certainly NOT the tail light seals or the filler pipe seal), but from above - like around the rear window. The truck DOES have some adjustment of the hinge to insure that it does seal.

On some models, water CAN enter the trunk around the model (300D/190D etc) emblem or the star or the truck latch.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi