From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Alex Chamberlain
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:16 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] I'm feeling sleepy ... S500?

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Bill Ringgold
<billr32...@comcast.net>wrote:

> I appreciate the attention to this.  I also called my nephew who looked up
> the records for his S500 customers.  The general impression is to stay
away
> from anything that has an air suspension system.

I might be crazy, but if I were going to bother looking for a good post-W140
S-class, I would get the air suspension for sure.  It's the major option
that makes the S more than just a bigger E.  Put another way, the W202 and
W203 E-classes are so good that I couldn't justify paying more for the S
unless I was going to go all out with it.  (Which doesn't necessarily
include getting one with a V-12.  You have to draw the line somewhere!)

The air suspension system is, from my anecdotal impressions, a lot like the
hydropneumatic suspension of the 450SEL 6.9.  It is expensive to fix, but
reliable if maintained properly, and when working right makes the car drive
and ride like nothing else.

Alex