Todd:

You mention that the brake pedal is hard- combined with everything else, you
either have a massive vacuum leak OR a failed vacuum pump that needs
rebuilding/replacing.

First, you need a vacuum gauge (minimally), some diagrams and some patience
to track that down. The power steering pump is easily enough replaced as
Kaleb mentioned. The problems you describe take the value of the car way
down- case in point, I bought a 300SDL for almost nothing b/c the dealer
told PO that the turbo AND tranny were bad- tis for a car with a fairly
recent MB reman transmission. Turned out to be nothing more than a broken
$20 part that caused all of the problem, including weird shifts and no
power.

Too bad you're not closer- I'm in Charlottesville VA and have a feeling that
with a pump rebuild kit and some time you could get most of the stuff sorted
in 3-4 hours. Most everything you describe- bad acceleration, no shutoff,
harsh shifts are ALL directly dependent on vacuum, unlike most other cars.
Has to be someone closer to you.

Also look at the line from the brake booster to the pump- this is about the
only place where a single line failure (or cracks in the "block" where the
smaller vacuum lines connect) can create enough of a leak to cause power
brake failure outside of the booster. Also- is there any evidence that the
master cylinder has been recently been replaced?

Tony Wirtel