A tragedy occurred locally recently...  I may have posted it here... in which a
young man was crushed by his car while changing his oil.  I posted it as a
cautionary safety public service message in several BMW and Mercedes forums.

Unbeknownst to me, word of my post apparently reached the family of the young
man, and last night his father responded to my post.  it is a heart-breaking
story, but worth reading, and I offer it in its entirety, including my response
to him.  Stay safe out there, fellas.

"I am Christian Klorczyk's father

Good Day,

I feel that I must respond to this post for the sake of accuracy, the honor of
my son and family name and also to attempt to save other lives.

Lynne and I are the parents of three sons, Frederick III, Christian, Parker and
our "adopted sons", his twin brother Jordan, Dimitri and Dan - all "carguys".

As stated in the article....

"The 21-year-old died Friday after a BMW he was working on collapsed on him in
the family garage. Fred Klorczyk said that a floor jack likely failed while his
son (Christian) was under the car changing the oil."

Jeff Johnson did a great job on the article on our son, brother and friend and
I thank him for that. Jeff was a true gentleman who talked to us for hours in
our darkest times to get an accurate depiction of our son and family. However,
and unfortunately we do not have it on tape, nor is Jeff a "gearhead" and
doesn't really understand jacks, jackstands and multiple layers of safety. I
never said, nor is it accurate to say "that a floor jack likely failed..."

Christian is an experienced mechanic who started working on cars and following
Formula 1 when he was a small child. He and our whole family witnessed Ayrton
"Magic" Senna die at Tamburello 15 years ago. Yes, Christian was only six at
the time and he would wake all of us up at 6:30AM to watch the pre-race show in
Italy on satellite.

Christian is a true car guy as are his brothers and friends. My business is in
the most safety conscious market in the world - nuclear boats, nuclear ships
and nuclear power plants. That mentality is my life - has been since I was a
kid engineer out of school. Ask any of my employees how I feel about safety.
They have the right to stop any job and call me at anytime as no one is to ever
get injured on our jobsites. This naturally carried over to my homelife. By the
way, my father was a large machine mechanic by trade and a "gearhead" by
avocation. No one would use the wrong tools - we have them all and all are of
quality. No one in my garage or driveway would ever go under a car with only a
jack of any kind holding it up. The jack elevates the car, jackstands support
at proper points while working underneath and the jack is removed to improve
accessibility. Period. Block the wheels if necessary. Emergency brake on. Car
in gear. A lift would be better but we just were not at that point in our lives
yet.

Christian had the right front tire off so that he could shine his double
halogen lights on the work area and see clearly. He also had that tire/wheel
under the right front rotor as an extra measure of safety as is a habit of ours
when possible. He had four ton Craftsman jackstands in use. Two were just
bought at Christmas when I sent him to buy a new jack since ours is getting to
be five years old. Hydraulic cylinders and seals degrade over time. He didn't
buy the jack since he felt what Sears, etc., had were junk so he bought more
four ton stands but without safety pins. I did not realize there were redundant
safety stands until... it was too late.

Christian was using my father's creeper for the first time. He found the
creeper when cleaning the garage over Christmas. When he applied torque to the
ratchet handle to break the plug loose, he experienced the law of physics of
"equal and opposite reaction". As the plug broke loose, the creeper did also in
a direction opposite to the torque vector Christian applied. Some part of
Christian's body, some part of the creeper, the mallet beside him, something -
we have no video, just supposition and theory... tripped the right front
jackstand lever inadvertantly from the underside and a ton of the BMW E46 3
series xi crushed his chest and his right cheekbone. He never took, or could
even attempt to take a second breath. Death was immediate and painless. If I
were beside him at the time this occurred I could have done nothing to save
him. This has been verified by five friends of mine who are doctors. I used the
floorjack Christian used to elevate the car to get the car off of him. It was
parallel to the car just as he would place it when he removed it from the
jackpoint. I had to engage the cylinder with clockwise rotation which tells me
Christian removed it per proper procedure. I had the jack underneath and car
off him in seconds. Jackstands were under before I crawled from under the
valance while Lynne called 911. Lynne came under with me from the wheelwell and
had a pulse on his neck. She said he it was strong. I was doing chest
compressions and trying to get a verbal response until the EMTs got there. When
I heard LIFESTAR waved off over the EMT radios I had a sick, sick feeling.

A critical factor, in my professional engineering opinion, is that the creeper
raised his body 3.5" higher than it would have been if he would have been
working on the concrete as he was used to. It also raised his head 4.5" higher
as there is a foam pillow headrest. Both creeper caster wheels at the head
position were sheared from the creeper. I can only wonder that if Christian did
not use the creeper would he have had the jackstands that high, would the
energy at 9.8 m/sec squared have been decreased to a minimum so that if the
freak accident happened he would have been injured less, would the extra
measure of the tire under the rotor have saved his life without the extra
creeper height, would he be alive today? Only God knows.

Christian is a fine, fine man who was known for his smile, intelligence,
passion and willingness to help anyone at anytime... just like all of his
brothers and "adopted brothers". The five of them and myself were his pall
bearers. He would have it no other way. We were that close.

Also, to my fellow "carguys" and "gearheads", please learn from this tragedy.
Scrap your cheapo jackstands... do your research, find the best jackstands
there are, use the secondary and tertiary safety factors, do not fall to the
temptation of human nature and operator error - use the extra safety factors!
It may save your life, or maybe the life of you son. Had I would have known
such Christian would be with us today.

Lastly, if you want to drive fast please do not do it on the road. Racetracks
are readily available for that adrenaline rush we all crave. Track days with
instructors are cheap and you are protected far more than

Godspeed Christian! May you be driving God's Veyron for him.

Please feel free to cut and past this article anywhere you think it may prove
valuable to fellow "carguys". I pray that none of you ever suffer such a
tragedy. May God Bless you all.

Frederick J. Klorczyk, Jr.
Waterford, CT
fjk...@aol.com

I sent him this in response:

Amen.

As the father of two grown sons, I can only imagine the sorrow and pain you and
your family have experienced the past two weeks. Words fail to capture the
depth of sadness we feel at your loss. Please accept my sincere and heartfelt
condolences. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us in your beautiful
letter.
I posted my original post in several other forums, and, based on some of the
Many people now know what a great kid he was, and he may have even saved a
life. I know that can in no way make up for his loss, but I hope it is some
small consolation to you.
God be with you.

Tom
Niantic