My old Pismo is fine except that Word is horribly slow and web pages can take forever to display. Bought a TiBook (1 Ghz) to replace it last year, and that's what I drag around all the time now. Other than being a bit slow on web page display or Photoshop, it's not bad.

I also got some broken AlBooks (1.5 GHz and 1.67Ghz 17") to fix -- still need to get the 17? back together, seems the power in board or the connector is bad, fans spin up but no boot due to no power at some voltages. Common problem, usually bad connection somewhere. I did discover that a 17" PB isn't as useful as it sounds. Very heavy. Great for photo stuff, but a pain for anything else, the screen is too close to see really well used as a laptop!

I don't anticipate changing any time soon -- the TiBook is nearly 9 years old, the Pismo is about 12, and they work perfectly. I don't know about current Apple hardware, but the older stuff goes and goes and goes. NOT like PCs -- had to swap the Mobo in my brother's HP, the capacitors were dead on the on-board PS for the CPU, it was running 65 degrees C at idle! Not good....

Since the only increases in speed, at least until we are no longer buying doped silicon semiconductors, is going to come from more cores on a CPU, and once you get past three of the, the overhead for multiprocessing gets to be so high you don't gain any speed, computers aren't going to get much faster in the near future. No need to replace them to get better performance, it's not gonna be there.

I may upgrade if I have a hardware failure, but not otherwise.

Peter