Once they get the EV tax, bet that the mileage meter will be next so they can clock actual miles on every vehicle.

Clay

On Mar 31, 2011, at 6:19 AM, Jim Cathey wrote:

So the WA State legislature is highly concerned about
fuel tax revenue lost to EV's, and is just about to
enact an additional $100 annual license fee for EV's.
(Will only really do much in the Seattle area, natch.)

They said that the average fuel-based driver paid about
$200/year into the State coffers.  Of course this fee
is not scaled to the mileage (wear) you place on roads,
and is regressive if you collect EV's like I (we?) do
old MB iron.  (The death of the high Excise tax we used
to have is what enabled me to indulge my car hoarding.)

Wonder if they'll try to tack that on to hybrids too?
Would be typical brainless money-grabber trick.

Also wonder how long it'll take before they change that
fee?  Willing to bet it'll be a monotonic series!

-- Jim