Todd,

  Where are you located?  If you are in the Seattle area, you and I could fix
every one of these things in an afternoon after a modest parts order to Rusty
and a quick stop at the Benz Friendz used parts warehouse.  You can fix the odo
with Crazy Glue - I did 2 of them myself.

  BTW, I think the 85 300CD is the pinnacle of Mercedes diesel production, but
nobody should expect any vehicle of that vintage to be 'daily driver ready',  I
don't car how much it cost or who the PO was and what he did.  Rubber rots.
Bulbs burn out.  Metal wears. Plastic decays.  Lube drys.  Stuff breaks. Things
on a 20 year old car will need regular fixing, period.  And I mean fixing, not
maintainence.  My 85 is a cream puff but requires regular TLC to keep it ready
for the wife to drive.  The nice thing is that the 123s are designed with
obsessive Teutonic precision to be fixed, not throwaway like an old Ford.
Enjoy fixing it or get rid of it.

  Regarding price, it is raining Benz diesels out here in Seattle.  Plenty of
great 123s and 115s to be had for under $1000 with no rust, but typically all
carboned up with valves out of adjustment, weak vacuum, bad thermostats, etc,
but nothing that the folks on this list couldn't tell you how to fix yourself.

  Cheers,

  Bruce

"Smith, Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hello,

I am a recent newcomer and lurker on this list and I have enjoyed the expert
advice and friendly atmosphere to frequently asked questions. About a month
ago, I purchased a 1985 300CD from eBay that I had planned to use as a daily
driver and as a suitable candidate for biodiesel. Unfortunately, neither of
these goals has been met since some unexpected expenses have tapped my
biodiesel fund and the car has issues that were not correctly presented during
the sale.

This has led me to the unenviable task of selling the car to recover the funds
that I have in it. My goal is to accurately report everything that I know or
believe about the car with enough pictures to hopefully cover all angles. I
want the next buyer to be able to make an informed decision. Yes, I know that
this is stupid since it will probably cost me the sale but I am tired of being
burned and this is the only way to break the cycle. The pictures are available
at http://photos.yahoo.com/tssmith2002

The car is white; the paint is somewhat faded but is generally okay, especially
considering its age. There is rust on one fender and but the rubber covers over
the bumpers still seem good. It may appear to have rust along the trunk lid but
that is actually two leaves that I didn't't notice until I was looking at the
pictures. I can take another picture if someone wishes me to confirm that
statement. The doors are solid with the exception of the trim of the
passenger's door. There is a picture with me placing my finger in the gap that
is sprung from the trim.

The interior is worn but still serviceable with the majority of the wear in the
driver's seat. There is a tear or spilt seam in the middle of the back seat
that looks like it needs some attention. I believe that the interior pictures
cover the interior pretty well. If anyone needs a better picture or can make a
suggestion as to something that a buyer might want to see; please feel free to
ask me.

Good points:

1) Car runs and I have driven it over 300 miles at Interstate speeds from
Maryland to its current home in Charleston, West Virginia.
2) Aftermarket radio plays pretty well with good reception.
3) Climate control seems to work with the exception of A/C.
4) Front windows work howbeit slowly. The rear power windows do not retract, PO
says that switches are bad but motors are good. (Motor condition not verified)
5) Rides pretty good for a car of its age.
6) My personal belief is that the engine and transmission is good but both need
attention.
7) It's a MB diesel and if it finds a good home then it should run for a while
longer.
8) Tires are almost brand new and show very deep tread.

Bad points:

1) Serious vacuum issues: Engine doesn't't cutoff, Automatic Transmission
shifts poorly, Door locks are inoperable, Cruise Control works but will not
hold speed for long.
2) Extremely poor acceleration: This is my first diesel and first MB, so this
might be user error. When at a light, I have to almost stand on the accelerator
to get it to crawl through a light. It takes several car lengths to accelerator
to 20MPH and then it seems to run better. It will reach 70+ MPH but it
doesn't't like to hold it. Letting off the accelerator seems to have a large
drop in speed by 10-15MPH almost immediately.
3) Power steering is inoperable. PO indicates that power steering pump leaks
profusely and removed PS drive belt and pulley. I have taken pictures of belt
and pulley and they are with the car but not installed.
4) Unknown mileage since odometer doesn't't work. The Title says 248K miles but
the odometer says 238K and I have added ~400 miles on since I have owned it. I
believe that the mileage on the Title is reasonably correct but I have no way
of verifying what the PO placed on the Title.
5) Trunk lock has been drilled out by PO.
6) Since the engine doesn't cutoff, then the engine has to be killed with the
fuel cutoff switch on the IP. The primary hood release has broken off at the
handle and protrudes through the hood. Since the primary hood release is
troublesome to operate then operating the car means letting the secondary latch
hold the hood down. Unlatching the hood means pulling the tab for the secondary
hood release at front of the grill.
6) A clunking noise that is seems to emanate from the rear passenger wheel. It
is noticeable at low speeds and seems to quiet down at highway speed but it is
always in the background. I believe that this may be a sticking brake since the
brakes are very firm when pressed. Dr. Booth in answering a similar question
that was posted recently suggested a possible bad half-axle.

I am asking $1500.00 or OBO since that it what I have it in and I hope that
this sheds some light on the car's condition. I hope that even if there were no
interested party here that some feedback on what information someone might be
interested in knowing would be appreciated. Pictures are viewable at
http://photos.yahoo.com/tssmith2002

Todd Smith

Bruce
82 300CD 334kmi 'His'