Well, speaking of windage, etc: Staff weenies had us turning West against 120 knot headwind first three or four nights during Linebacker II campaign against Hanoi after leaving 108 "calling cards" each. 'Reduced ground speed by 240 knots when we really needed to be getting the Hell outa "Dodge" - er Hanoi - as fast as possible. We finally got the weenies to change tactics for withdrawal to the East.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "OK Don" <okd...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <Mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:34 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Mileage and windage

We drove the ML320 to DFW and back on Sunday. There was an
approximately 30mph wind from the South SouthWest all day. I filled the tank
before we left town, filled it just North of the airport on the way back,
and again as soon as we got back to town. I was driving with the cruise
control set to the speed limit, 70 most of the way, 60 the last 30-40 miles
or so (Texas is weird that way).

Going South, with the headwind, we got 20.3mpg. Coming home with a tailwind,
we got 26.3mpg.

The ML is not what you'd call aerodynamic, so I'm not surprised to see a
measurable difference, I just didn't expect it to be this dramatic. Almost
forgot, we had an extra 350 or so pouinds in the car on the return trip
(daughter and son-in-law plus baggage).

I've never measured/documented the wind effects on fuel economy before, so
thought this was cool.

--
OK Don
2001 ML320